One computer freaks journey to find a perfect GTD app.

Monday, August 16, 2010

GTD App - Remember the Milk

Getting Things Done is a complex system, no doubt about that and it can be difficult to implement it into real life. Definitely it is a system that demands for dedicated tools to be use. Be it a moleskine notebook, a sophisticated notes system or a software. To me, using the latter seemed like a perfect solution from the start, however, finding a good GTD application proved to be more difficult than I thought. I am still searching.
Remember the Milk is one of the first apps I used to implement David Allen's method. The software immediately caught my attention for few reasons. Firstly, it is a web app which means that I could use it no matter where I am and which of my many computers I am using right now, as long as I have internet connection (although later RTM team solved that problem too but more on that in a second). Secondly, unlike D. Allen's system, the app is easy to use “out of the box” and you don't have to go through any manuals to familiarize yourself with it.
Remember the Milk does not follow David Allen's system rigorously. It seems that it's creators picked the most important aspects of it focusing on the ease to use instead of getting all aspects of GTD system implemented. In my opinion, this was a wise move allowing them to create application that's easy to use yet still offers most of the options an average GTD fan would need.
RTM allows a user to create multiple tasks list, organize them by tags, set contexts, due dates, even add locations (including google maps for reference). Tasks can be set to repeat daily, weekly or whichever way the user would like them too. A time estimate can also be assigned to them as well as notes helping the user to complete it. And it's all done through a simple and clean interface which is an additional bonus.
One of the main advantages of RTM is it's offline mode. The option wasn't available when I was using it and only noticed it now. It definitely is a great add on to the software. You can still access RTM even if you have no internet connection, and all changes you make to your tasks or lists are recorded and uploaded to the server once you are back online. A lack of this feature was something that originally made me to change from a web based solutions to desktop one and I am reconsidering giving RTM a chance once again.
Overall with the addition of offline mode RTM has become one of the most powerful, yet simple to use GTD applications out there and should satisfy every enthusiast of this productivity system.
You can try Remember the Milk yourself here.

No comments:

Post a Comment