One computer freaks journey to find a perfect GTD app.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Doomi – A beautiful todo list designed to stay out of the way

Following on a trend fro last post I want to talk about another to do list application today.
Doomi is a little gem amongst task organizers, it's small, lightweight but also beautifully designed. It offers the core functionality one would expect from a simple to do list however adds few small uncommon features.
But to begin at the beginning.
Doomi is written in Adobe Air, meaning it's cross platform between mac, pc and linux. I found this extremely helpful as as you already know, I work on both mac and pc. It felt really comfortable to be working with the same interface and same app on both machines. Unfortunately there is no syncing between different copies so you're working with two different lists on each machine. It worked fine for me as I use one machine for work and the other for home stuff.
Doomi's main strength seems to lie in it's beautiful design. It's creators certainly have put a lot of effort into making it stand out from the typical to do interface. The whole interface can hide in an accordion like effect leaving only add new task field on top, you can drag and drop tasks with a lovely animated effect. The whole things shines beautifully.
When it comes to it's functionality, Doomi offers all the basic to do list functions like adding, editing, deleteing and marking tasks are done. However it also adds an option to set how much time will the task take and also to set reminders for tasks.
To be absolutely honest I didn't use Doomi for long though. In spite of it's wonderful interface and few additional features it just didn't click with me. Now, I don't want you to think that it's a bad app, it's not. I think it's creators have done a fantastic job and the application is one of the top ones in it's class. But it just didn't click with me.
You can download Doomi for free here.

No comments:

Post a Comment